The first thing that you need to decide is which type of mixer you want. There are two types: a hand mixer and a stand mixer. The difference between the two will be explained in this post, but if you’re still unsure of what may be best for you, have a read through this section about the pros and cons of each—then decide for yourself which one seems like the best option.
An excellent start to any discussion about buying an appliance is to know what it’s used for, so we’ll describe both hand mixers and stand mixers in more detail.
Hand Mixers A hand mixer is most commonly used for small kitchen tasks, such as making cake batter or beating egg whites. If you’re in the market for a stand mixer, you may consider looking at a hand mixer as well, since you can use it to prepare ingredients for the batter or dough that is to be mixed by your stand mixer. Some hand mixers come with accessories like whisks and beaters that can help you mix ingredients when cooking.
They can also be used to prepare ingredients like mayonnaise and salad dressing. Hand mixers are also portable—if you’re planning on taking your kitchen appliances on vacation with you, a hand mixer would be a good idea. If you are looking to purchase a hand mixer be sure and check the power source of the appliance. Most hand mixers are powered by electricity, while others have a battery option.
Hand Mixer Pros and Cons
• Hand mixers are small and lightweight, making them easy to store.
• They’re good for small tasks that don’t require too much mixing.
• Because they can be used for smaller tasks, you can utilize your stand mixer for more intensive tasks—meaning you don’t have to buy two mixers just because one is smaller than the other.
• If you have a small kitchen, a hand mixer may be the best option for you—it can take up less space than a stand mixer.
• Hand mixers are often less powerful than stand mixers.
• You can’t use them for large tasks like kneading dough for bread or making large amounts of whipped cream.
• They usually don’t come with accessories that can perform extra mixing duties, since they’re more compact than stand mixers.
Electrical hand mixer
An electrical hand mixer is designed to fit easily into a drawer, so that it doesn’t take up much room in your kitchen cabinets. Most of the hand mixers that you will see in a store are made with plastic handles and come with a power cord.
These hand mixers generally have less power than those equipped with a stand mixer. Some electrical hand mixers are designed to work on battery power and others have an AC cord. Make sure that you read the owner’s manual for your model before purchasing to ensure it can be used for your intended use.
A stand mixer is the most powerful type of mixer that you can find, which is why so many pros use them at home when they make large batches of cookies or cakes. The power and strength of these mixers make them a popular choice for professionals in the baking business.
They can be used to mix, knead, beat and whip all types of ingredients—large or small.
The versatility of stand mixers makes them great for home use as well. Some stand mixers even have attachments that give you extra mixing options like cream whips or ice cream makers, making them the best option for all your baking needs.
You can find very powerful models with a motor that is six horsepower or more—these are typically referred to as industrial models, although home versions can be just as powerful. The stand mixer you choose should depend on how large of a model you want to use, and what features you want the mixer to have.
Stand Mixer Pros and Cons
• They’re ideal for a wide range of cooking tasks, so you can get more done with only one appliance.
• Some models have extra accessories that make mixing easier, making them the best option for all your needs.
• They’re easy to use. Simply plug in the machine before any mixing and let it do its job.
• They last a long time, since they’re designed to handle heavy-duty tasks like kneading dough.
• Because they are such strong machines, they can be very large and take up a lot of space in your kitchen.
• They can sometimes be hard to clean since the bowls aren’t designed for dishwasher use.
• Some models can be heavy, although this is usually not much of an issue if you have a stand mixer with a lift design.
Stand Mixer Attachments
A stand mixer can be used in a number of ways. The attachments that are available for these mixers give you a lot of versatility when it comes time to mix ingredients or prepare specialty items. Stand mixers with attachments can be used to make cranberry sauce, cream cheese and even homemade ice cream.
On top of using the mixer for mixing, some models can also be used as food grinders, meat grinders and vegetable slicers—you’ll find a wide range of attachments available for your stand mixer to help you in the kitchen.
Some models come with extra features like glass bowls so you can watch your batter as it mixes, giving you more control over your recipe. You can find these types of models in many department stores or on websites like Amazon.
Stand Mixer Accessories
The attachments that come with stand mixers can make all the difference when it comes to making your cooking easier and more fun. Many stand mixers are sold with additional accessories that help you prepare specialty items like cookie batter or whipped cream.
Some examples of these accessories include dough hooks, pouring shield, flat beater, wire whip and paddles. Make sure you check what is included when you purchase a new stand mixer so you’re getting a model that has all of the features you want to use.
There are many types of mixers available for purchase. Some are designed for small tasks, while others are made for whipping up large batches of cookies. The type of mixer you choose should depend on what size projects you’re interested in and how much power you need to accomplish those tasks.
Can I use a hand mixer in place of a stand mixer?
Using a hand mixer to replace a stand mixer is possible, but you may need to combine several batches of ingredients together in order to achieve the same result that you would have gotten with a stand mixer.
You can use an electric hand mixer for most of your mixing needs as long as you don’t need a lot of power. These mixers tend to be smaller than stand mixers, so they’re more suitable for small tasks and smaller amounts of batter or dough.
You may want to use both a hand mixer and a stand mixer if you find yourself needing the functionality of both types of machines. For example, if you’re making a large batch of cookies, you can use the stand mixer to knead the dough and then use the hand mixer to finish mixing any small batches of batter that you need.
How do I know if I should get a hand mixer or a stand mixer?
If you just need something to mix up small batches of batter or dough, then a hand mixer may be enough for your needs. These mixers tend to be smaller than stand mixers so they’re easier to store when not in use. While some hand mixers may have low-level power, others are more powerful than some stand mixers.
So if you need to do more than just mix small amounts of batter, you should consider getting a stand mixer. If you plan to make large batches of batter or dough and you want a mix that is capable of handling more power, then go with a powerful stand mixer. Stand mixers can take on jobs that cooking appliances aren’t designed for like kneading dough, beating eggs and heavy-duty whipping cream.
When would you use a stand mixer?
Some people will use a stand mixer for every mixing project, but it’s not necessary. Using a stand mixer only when you need to mix large batches of ingredients is the recommended way to go. The tool is designed to use heavy-duty tasks and should be used in those scenarios.
You can also use a stand mixer in scenarios where a hand mixer won’t do the job. These include making large batters or kneading dough—you could get away with using a hand mixer for these tasks, but you may not get the same results as you would if you used the full power of a stand mixer.
What is the big advantage of using the stand mixer?
Stand mixers have a number of advantages over hand mixers and other types of mixers. One of the biggest advantages is that they can be used for large batches of ingredients and dough. This means you don’t have to make several batches and combine them together to get the results you need. They’ll save you time when making large batches of ingredients like bread, cookie dough or pie crusts.
Another advantage is that they are easy to use and come with a range of attachments that make mixing easier. You need less time to learn how to use one than you would a hand mixer, since there are fewer settings and controls to know about.
What are 5 uses for a stand mixer?
• Baking: A stand mixer makes it easy to mix large amounts of ingredients and get the consistency of your dough, cake batter or frosting just right.
• Cooking: A stand mixer is designed to be used for cooking and can handle items that you wouldn’t want to use a hand mixer for like kneading bread dough or whipping egg whites.
• Making Cakes & Cookies: Many people like to use a stand mixer when making these types of treats since they don’t require as much mixing time. A stand mixer can give you the perfect amount of air in your cookie batter and will hold back the moisture in your cake mixture until it’s time to cook.
• Food Preparation: If you’re making a large amount of food, you can use a stand mixer to mix up all of your ingredients at once. You don’t have to combine several batches of ingredients together while the stand mixer is going since you can feed it ingredients one at a time.
• Dough & Batter Making: A stand mixer is designed to handle heavy-duty tasks like kneading dough and whipping heavy cream. These tasks don’t require as much power as cooking or baking, so you could use a stand mixer for them.
An electric mixer is the best companion for a housewife. The mixer has contributed a lot in eliminating the laborious job of manually mixing and beating things. It helps save time, money and energy. In fact, it can be said that using an electric hand mixer saves more energy than using a blender or food processor as it is easier to handle and control. Also, one gets to do another job while the device is making use of its power to do what it was assigned to do. It also reduces the possibility of injuries since you are not required to get your hands in the mixers bowl.